Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Splitting Hairs

Every business I have ever owned (four to date) has always been service oriented. In my first business I provided creative services, in the second I provided homecare services, in the third (current) a marketing enhancement service and in the fourth (also current) business coaching services.

With the exception of the first business I found myself considering the question of how to refer to the people or entities that used the services I provided. I know, I know; it sounds like I had too much time on my hands to give it serious thought. The question was particularly poignant when I owned the homecare agency. The elderly people that we provided services for were too valuable in my mind to be reduced to common terminology like "customer," "consumer," or "client." Professionally we referred to these wonderful people as clients. But in my heart they were always much more.

Maybe that's because I am passionate about what I do. I'm not a "job" owner. I am a business owner and my businesses reflect who I am and what I am about in life.

I digress. Back to splitting hairs ...

The dictionary makes a subtle difference between the words customer, consumer and client. In some ways they all blur together. But it seems to me that a customer is transaction based. A person may go through the check out but never consume a product because she is just a "customer." The consumer is pretty obviously a user through and through. A consumer may or may not be the one who is actually paying for services; hence not a literal customer. Then the client is that individual or entity that uses the advice or services of a professional. There is the sense of ongoing reliance on a service.

It's all up for debate and the differences certainly are not a hill to die on as one of my colleagues would say.

The important underlying point goes to your understanding of who is purchasing what you offer. How you perceive them affects how you approach them . . . and ultimately how the money goes from their wallet into yours.

If you are in a service-based business then it is imperative to evaluate carefully the importance of relationship and how it strengthens your business objectives.

If your business is based on a deliverable product, then the transaction becomes the pinnacle of the relationship. You are obliged to make the transaction process a positive experience.

No matter which way your business bends, when was the last time you gave it serious thought and intentionality? When was the last time you really cared?

No comments:

Post a Comment