Saturday, February 20, 2010

Fine tuning one advertising approach . . .

I believe that relationships in business are one of the pillars for ongoing growing success.

So I listen and read and watch and learn from others especially when it comes to the topic of "how I got to where I am at today." Success stories.

Have you ever noticed in these stories how often it is the smallest of gestures that make a world of difference? A handshake using both hands instead of just one. A hand-written note. An actual friendly phone call. A real deal smile. Looking someone in the eye. Making sure your shoes are clean.

*******
Here is a little story that may help you in some way. But before I tell you I have to let you in on a secret: I do not take kindly to salespeople who call my office and ask to speak with the owner/manager/person in charge of whatever. I do not like to be interrupted by the guy who walks past the No Solicitors sign on the door to sell me steaks/art/office supplies/phone services/etc. I admittedly am a hard guy to sell unless you know me and know what causes me to listen to you.

You also need to know that the shortest distance in my world is the distance between the direct mail advertising piece in my hand and the trash can. Save your money.

I suspect I am not the only guy who thinks like this. Someone did have the idea of the No Solicitor sign and sold it to untold businesses. Someone did have the idea of the No Call List and millions have put their name and number on the list. There is a reason receptionists are known as gatekeepers.

So what's a small business guy to do to get the word out in an effective relationship-building way? This question is always percolating in the back of my mind. Now I will tell you my story.

I wanted to get the word out to a particular industry about my business coaching services. I stared at the letter in front of me and imagined being the recipient. What would make ME short circuit the shortest distance to the trash can, open the letter and actually read it?

With my eyes closed I imagined it must be like speed dating. Sitting across the table from a total stranger in a room filled with other people trying to accomplish the same thing and initiating a conversation that could lead to a relationship and do it all in the first few seconds.

Epiphany Number 1: I always look twice at a hand addressed letter. I always look at it, turn it over, examine the return address . . . and ALWAYS open it.

  • Action plan: I will not use labels on this mailing. It's going to take a little more time and more effort (you should see my handwriting). But I will hand address these letters. (Ever get one of those direct mail pieces with the computerized hand writing? Does someone out there really think I don't notice that?)

Epiphany Number 2: If my name is misspelled on the letter, I automatically suspect the intentions.

  • Action plan: I will have to verify the correct spelling of the recipient's name. It's going to take a little more time and effort but I will find out if I have the correct spelling. Thank you internet!

Epiphany Number 3: If I open the envelope and discover a form letter I will look at what the greeting line and the signature. If the greeting line is wrong and the signature is imprinted the sender just found my express lane to the trash can.

  • Action plan: I will have the proper greeting* and personally sign each letter with a blue ball point pen.

Epiphany Number 4: The proper greeting! (Rabbit trail: Since I already admitted to being a tough sell I have a pet peeve about servers in a restaurant who call me by my first name only at the end of the meal after they have gotten my credit card. "Oh, do I know you? Where do you get off calling me by my first name without a proper introduction?" My wife thinks I should audition for a part in Even Grumpier Old Men.)

I did some research to learn the proper greeting line for a letter. I promptly learned all the ways a greeting  should NOT be written. And discovered that there is really only ONE way to begin a letter. Just one proper way! Curiously enough it is exactly how I would want to be addressed by a total stranger who wants to win the right to tell me about his company. Brilliant!

The only proper way to begin a letter to someone you do not know yet is . . . Title Surname. No first names. No mispelled names. No "To Whom It May Concern." No Sir or Ma'am (Madam? Really?). No first names at all. No abbreviations or just initials. Mr. Furst to you if we haven't met yet and you want to win the right to have me listen to you.
  • Action plan: I will research and find out the person this letter should go to and begin my letter to this individual with "Dear Mr. Smith," "Dear Mrs. White," "Dear Miss Jones," and only "Dear Ms. Era" if I learn that is her preference. Until I know the proper title, I will not send the letter.

*****
I believe that relationships in business are one of the pillars for ongoing growing success. In a relationship the first few seconds can determine whether or not there are subsequent seconds, minutes, hours, or a lifelong business relationship that is mutually beneficial.
_____________
ROI might make you think the time and effort to discover a proper greeting is inefficient for a mass mailing. What is the true value of relationship vs. ROI in your business?

1 comment:

  1. It's easy to forget that personal interaction cuts through a world full digital noise.

    ReplyDelete