Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Overheard at a Trade Meeting

If you are in marketing or sales, this might be of interest to you . . .

A saleperson who I will say represents an advertising specialty company wanted to develop leads within a targeted industry. So she joined that particular industry's trade group noting that none of her competitors were members. (Sometimes it is easier to shine when you are not competing with other spotlights. She asked me not to reveal her industry or the association she joined at this time.)

After attending her first meeting she couldn't wait to get on the phone to tell me what happened.

The meeting broke up into roundtable discussion groups. Each group addressed questions regarding their industry. The first table that she sat at was comprised of 12 representatives from her targeted industry and herself, the only vendor. The question they addressed was, "How do you select which vendors to do business with?"

The lively discussion began with one person stating, "I delete 200 emails a day from people wanting my business. I don't even read 'em." Heads nodded around the table.

"That's probably true in most industries." I said. "What did they have to say after that?"

"It was really interesting and verified what you and I have been talking about over the past several weeks. I wrote down the key comments to discuss with you. This is what these people said they want from vendors:
  • "I don't want to buy from someone I don't know." (Ok, we know that. Relationships take time and creativity. Curiously this is the same individual who said that she deleted hundreds of emails daily. Apparently emails are not the way to initiate a relationship!)
  • "I know a vendor has taken the time to get to know me and my business when they add a personal touch. I have collected the hand-written notes I've received from vendors over the past 15 years. I have 10. But look! I've saved them! These are the people I do business with." (A hand-written note: still brilliant in the year 2010.)
  • "I appreciate it when a vendor asks me what I expect from them." (No one wants to be sold. Everyone likes to buy.)
  • "If I am going to develop a professional relationship with someone I need to know what's in it for me in the long haul. Don't waste my time. I'm busy." (Get beyond the features. Strike hard on benefits.)
  • "The vendors that I repeatedly go back to are the ones who go the extra mile. They help me out in a pinch, they pull strings, they are resourceful . . . In my book they make my job easier." (Service is all about service.)
My client with 10 years experience in sales reiterated how affirming it was to hear this right from the people that she wants to sell to. "I know this isn't cutting edge news. I am just flabberghasted that my competitors are not doing this!"

"I guess that gives you something to leverage. Let's pull out that Strategic Planner again and revisit your goals and strategies. Are you on target? Is there something that needs a little more tweaking?"

A business coach does not take over your business. A good coach comes alongside to address the crucial concerns with you and helps you to develop an effective strategy to ensure success.
____________________
How much time do you spend behind a computer monitor? How does this time compare with the relationships you are developing in your business?
Take time to write a hand-written note or make a phone call to people you normally send an email to.

No comments:

Post a Comment