Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Work = Fun?



Remember the day you decided to go to work "for yourself"? We need to sit down for a cup of jo'.

In the early 90s I was considerably down the road of self-employment. Here are some of the funny [insert emoticon here] statements I had made about being self-employed:

  • Someone would say, "Wow, it must be nice to be your own boss." I answered, "Yeah. Now instead of reporting to one guy, I have to report to 500."
  • Someone bragged about getting three weeks paid vacation. "How much vacation time do you get?" I would smile and say, "All the vacation time I can afford." Of course only I knew that while money was not an issue, I was so entrenched in my business that I could never leave it for an extended vacation.
  • Someone would ask me with wonder in their voice, "I wish I had the courage to start my own business." I would answer, "Let me give you the number of my therapist."
  • Someone commented on the marketing strategy their company implemented. "You're successful. How do you market a creative service like yours?" "Dumb luck," I responded laughing. If they only knew.
  • This one I still laugh at: One day a salesperson walked in my office -- the office door that had a prominent sign on it stating, "No Solicitors." She was trying to sell business coaching services. I hadn't a clue what she was talking about. After her elevator speech she showed me a list of services that started at several thousands of dollars. Inside I was thinking the entire time, "Honey, you have got to be kidding. I don't have time for this nonsense." Then my mouth -- not my smartest piece of equipment -- opened up and I said, "You've got to be kidding. I don't have time for this nonsense." And I added, "Didn't you read the sign on the door?" I did need her services; I just didn't know it. Today, several years later, I am a business coach working alongside business owners to address crucial concerns so they can achieve greater success and find balance in life. Now that is a twist of fate.

As the proud recipient of a BS Degree from the time honored S of HK, I do have some battle scars. Here's one of the lessons every business owner needs to pass: Business should be fun. And as my sister in the backseat would say on our family trip to visit the relatives, "Are we having fun yet?"

The School of Hard Knocks has a curriculum that is based on "dumb luck" and "the scenic route to success." Think of all the benefits of learning the shortcuts to get to the desired destination of outrageous success and balance in life!

Yes, I am a business coach working alongside business owners to address crucial concerns so they can achieve greater success and find balance in life.

We need to sit down for a cup of jo'.
_________________
Why did you go into business for yourself?
What are the crucial concerns in your business today?
How will you address these concerns efficiently and effectively?
When do you have time for a cup of jo'?

Workshops scheduled: www.strategicmindsetworkshop.blogspot.com
Email: A.Furst@theGrowthCoach.com

No comments:

Post a Comment